Wednesday, July 25, 2012

WE...are Penn State

The very first time I heard of a possible issue involving Jerry Sandusky was October 22nd, 2011.

We were celebrating a special family occasion and many of us gathered at my brother’s house that Saturday evening. Penn State was playing at Northwestern and given the Chicago family connection, plus several other Penn State alums in my family, the game became the featured entertainment for the night.

One of our family members is a Michigan graduate so we’ve given each other a little good natured college football grief over the years. And I thought that’s where we were headed again when he asked me, “what’s up with your defensive coordinator?”

Initially I assumed he meant Tom Bradley but after further discussion I realized he meant Sandusky, who was retired for well over a decade. And this person whose knowledge I’ve come to respect over the years pointedly stated that he had heard Sandusky was under indictment for sexual abuse of children.

That was the first time I heard anything, some 13 years after Sandusky was first investigated for such crimes.

Two weeks to the day later I was at the gym when the news of Sandusky’s arrest, plus those of Tim Curley and Gary Schultz rolled across the ESPN ticker. Within 48 hours I knew with shocking clarity that the Pennsylvania State University would never be the same again.

Let me reiterate for clarity, it took 13 years for me to hear even a rumor of Sandusky’s activities. I spent four years at University Park and I’ve been a proud alumnus since 1995. I have numerous family members and friends who attended that school. I personally know at least 100 people who are connected to the University or Alumni Association. They are connected to thousands more. Given the advent of social media, infinitely more connections are available to people you barely know.

And not one person I know had any idea about Jerry Sandusky's "issues" until at least the spring of 2011.

I will add this, during my four years at Penn State there was never so much as a peep let alone a sordid rumor about Sandusky. Yes I graduated three years before the first chronicled incident but seriously, does anybody think Sandusky woke up one morning in 1998 and realized he was a pedophile? The sad, shocking, vile truth is he’s likely been doing this for far longer than any of us dare imagine.

So with that I wish to clearly state for the record the following; which I believe applies to me and every other Penn State student, alumnus, and employee I know:

We...did not enable Jerry Sandusky

We...did not cover up his crimes

We...did not witness and fail to report the sexual abuse of a child

We...did not blindly worship Joe Paterno

We...are not members of a cult

Why do I feel the need to say this? Rest assured it’s not in preparation for my grand jury testimony.

I say this because so many have become so willing to broad brush the entire  University and Penn State community. Apparently to many it’s not sufficient to restrict blame to the perpetrator, those who actively covered or failed to report his heinous actions, or even the Board of Trustees. For the record, that group comprises perhaps 25 to 50 people of the 500,000 plus students, alumni, and employees of Penn State in this world.

Apparently the egregious actions of a select few are sufficient cause for many to blame and defame an entire community of people, the significant majority of whom were completely divorced from this tragedy.

We have, for decades on in, proudly proclaimed “WE ARE PENN STATE” to the world. Such declarations and identifications require that we accept both the good and the bad from our school and our community. It does not require that we bare responsibility for the criminal actions or negligence our supposed leaders, especially when we are in no position to prevent it.

I’m not perfect by any means but rest assured if I witnessed a child being sexually assaulted I would do something about it; no matter who the perpetrator. Rest assured I would not sit ideally by for A DECADE plus while the guy came to my office, worked out in my gym and traveled on flights with me and other co-workers.

I get that the entire Penn State community is going to wear the scarlet letter for the foreseeable future. We are all deemed guilty by association because of the horrific acts of a disgusting serial pedophile and the horrendous choices of others to protect his actions. We cannot escape that, at least not in the short-term. I can live with that as reality for now.

That’s a far different reality from those who paint the entire Penn State community as brain dead cultists who enabled a pedophile due to their blind worship of a demigod head coach. I’ve heard it suggested that we are responsible because of the “culture” we created. I’m curious as to how many who sling such actions have any firsthand knowledge of that “culture” but that’s an argument for another day. For now, simply understand that the “religious fervor” you hear about regarding Penn State football is far more myth than reality.

I’m not trying to play the victim card here. I’m not a victim, none of us are. We all know who the victims are and what they’ve suffered at the hands of this monster. Save your prayers and your tears ONLY for them.

I’m simply reminding the world that there are a good half a million plus people in the Penn State community who truly embody “The Penn State way.” And in spite of what you see in the media or on the Internet, virtually every one of us would have tried to the right thing if we had the misfortune to get directly caught up in this mess. All of us would settle for even one story on the $10 Million our students raise to help cancer victims every year for every ten sanctimonious beat downs from Rick Reilly and Jeremy Schaap.

Yes we loved and respected Joe Paterno, probably too much. Understand this however; no matter how much the NCAA and/or media wants to rewrite history, there was no reason not to love and respect him before last November. And while many of us our still struggling terribly to accept his role in this along with the complete reimaging of his legacy that is still a far cry from suggesting we would not have moved heaven and earth to stop Jerry Sandusky if we could have.

I spent a football weekend in Columbus Ohio a few years back. I can assure you from personal experience that Penn State fans are no more devoted or cult like than Ohio State fans. The same repulsive event could have easily happened in Columbus, Ann Arbor, Tuscaloosa, or Austin if those schools had the horrific misfortune of a pedophile on their coaching staff.

I am a card carrying member of the Steeler Nation. I can assure you from personal experience that Penn State fans are no more devoted or cult like than Steeler fans. I would also remind everyone in Pittsburgh that a large portion of the country thinks we are blindly supporting a rapist every Sunday and that the Steeler Nation took a tremendous leap of faith to believe Ben Roethlisberger’s innocence. I doubt we would have made a similar leap if Big Ben was a plumber or an accountant.

Steeler fans, including me, supported Ben in spite of increasingly disturbing tales of his poor public behavior. Is that not as bad or even worse than supporting a man with thousands of testimonials and a six decade track record of mentoring and coaching you people? And for the record, difficult as it is, most Penn State fans are now dealing with the reality of Paterno’s involvement, given that we now have reasonable evidence to support it.

No one person is Penn State, not even Joe Paterno. That certainly includes Graham Spanier, Gary Schultz, Tim Curely, Mike McQueary and anyone else who failed in their obligations. They are the most visible of us and perhaps today the worst of us…but they do not represent who WE are.

WE are Penn State…the hundreds of thousands who try and live the right way every day. I hope those who condemn with too broad a brush will take a second or two to remember that.

9 comments:

  1. Agree with most of what you wrote but. . .this type cover up likely doesnt happen at most schools. Paterno had more power and god like status than anywhere else. Covering up child rape and convincing administrators etc to do so is not happening. Covering up recruiting violations, players getting in trouble with the law, cheating in school etc. happens everywhere. Also no doubt schools like alabama, Ohio State etc are as passionate and cult like from a fan basis. Actually the south is 10x worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The catholic church has covered up sexual abuse of children for years and still does. This can, unfortunately happen anywhere. Get off your high horse.

    I am too struggling with this. Joe Pa did a lot of good for many people but made a mistake that is probably unrecoverable. He admitted that he should have done more. Him and his family will now live with that shame for the rest of the Paterno name is used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand both comments above.

    Given what's happened at PSU and the ramifications thereof, I doubt we will see a scandal of this magnitude again in college football. That said, there are plenty of places where this could have happened, if they were the first and if they had a Jerry Sandusky on their staff.

    There are a lot of schools where college football or basketball is every bit as huge as football was at PSU. Had they been faced with a situation like this, a situation that could tear their program to shreads who knows how the MIGHT have reacted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously you both went to penn state. He covered up rape of young children. He built a library. He covered up rape of young children. He helped build a university to one of the finest int the country. He let a monster rape kids on his watch. He won a lot of games. He covered up rape. Get off your high horse. I am not the orginal poster. I am embarrassed for second comment. Joe was your god. That was the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam, I understand you bleed blue, so do I. However, At best they looked the other way, at worst they knew and did nothing. When Joe told Sandusky in 1998 he was not going to be the next head coach, there was a reason. The reasons the NCAA vacated Joe's wins was because he is dead and cannot be punished is court and to send a message to all coaches

    ReplyDelete
  6. To the comment at 9:38...

    I agree with everything your saying, I just don't understand the context as it relates to this blog.

    I'm not disputing any of the sanctions including vacating the wins. They are fully deserved. My personal opinion, as stated above, is they should not play football this season.

    That's not the point of this blog. The point is to remind the world that there are 5 people directly involved in this scandal and maybe 20 more indirectly (BOT). Beyond that there are 500,000+ in the PSU community who had NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. And almost all of us would have intervened to stop it if we could have.

    And yet many want to hold all of us accountible for the actions of 5 people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So if Bela Karolyi was convicted of pedophilia would you strip Mary Lou Retton of her gold and disqualify the current gymnastics team from competition?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wrote this blog in support of the 500,000+ alumni who are devasted by the Penn State scandal. That was my primary motivation. My secondary motivation was to put out a strong message, to whatever number of readers I get, that this scandal is about 1 horrible criminal and 5 or so people who covered up his actions. Many seem to forget this while attempting to blame the entire PSU community.

    My convictions strengthed on Thursday as I engaged in a debate with a person who suggested that all of us are 100% culpable for enabling Sandusky because we "created a culture" where he could do this and have it covered up. He suggested that any PSU alum who attended games, watched games, or bragged about Paterno, enabled that culture.

    That kind of ignorance is striking. It made me angry but it left me in fear that there are really people who think like that. There are really intelligent, well spoken people who believe the entire PSU community is responsible for one sick pedopihle and five people who protected him. I cannot and will not stand for such ignorance. It's frankly too dangerous.

    Save all your sympathy and tears for the victims of this terrible tragedy. They and only they deserve that. Just the same, save your condemnation for the criminal and his five enablers, not for those who had nothing to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Per Time Magazine: Monsignor William Lynn of Philadelphia was convicted this month for covering up sex abuse by priest.

    Apparently only at PSU and the church is where these terrible things could happen....

    Lets be very clear to non-penn stayers. Anyone that knew about these horrible acts should be prosecuted. Blaming the overall culture at PSU is ridiculous. Allowing anyone to cover this up including JoePa or Spanier is unacceptable to us. Punishing the alumnus or students that didn't know is ubsurd. To say this situation couldnt happen elsewhere is insane.

    I believe if JoePa was still alive he should stand trial if the facts showed he did fail to act or cover-up. And anyone else...

    With that said, if your father is convicted of murder do you immediately brand him as a horrific individual and write him off for ever? Or do you respect the positives but realize he has flaws and deal with them in time. To negate all of the positive things JoePa did is ridiculous. He made a mistake and he is being punished. Lets not forget the good too.

    ReplyDelete