Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Penguins Need to Sit Fleury…For Now

For the past 20 years or so, Sports Illustrated has run a piece called, “this week’s sign of the apocalypse.” Within that context, those who know me might think that this week’s blog entry is a campaign to get me in next week’s issue.

I can just see it now. This week’s sign of the apocalypse, “noted Penguin goaltending freak and massive Marc-Andre Fleury fan Adam Haberman wrote an internet blog where he made this statement…the Penguins should bench Fleury and run with Brent Johnson for awhile.”

There it is, clear, concise, and in writing. I am comforted that in the 30 seconds or so since I typed that paragraph, life continues to thrive on the planet earth. I can also assure you that I was not kidnapped and replaced by aliens (or Philly fans) on my honeymoon.

Ok, let’s come to grips with what I am and am not saying.

I am saying that Brent Johnson should start the next game in goal for the Penguins. I’m also saying that if he plays well, he should start the one after that. In fact, I think the Pens should run with Johnson for a few weeks if he continues to play at a high level.

I am not saying that Marc-Andre Fleury should be demoted, traded, or sent on another African safari. I am by no mean suggesting that there is or should be a goaltending controversy in the Burgh. In the end, the Penguins can not win a Stanley Cup with Brent Johnson in goal. He’s a back-up goaltender and as we know water ultimately finds its level. If there is going to be another Cup parade in the Burgh, Marc-Andre Fleury needs to be in goal, and at his best.

Which is what has lead me to this frightening crossroads just three games in to the 2010-11 season.

I have passionately defended Fleury in many forums including this one as recently as last May. I’m a firm believer in the Flower. He has his ups and downs, as does every goaltender in the NHL. That being said, he also has two trips to the Stanley Cup finals and a game 7 cup victory on his resume. Very few goaltenders can say that.

We are still talking about a man who led the Pens to 30 playoff victories in two years. We are still talking about a man who stopped two future hall of famers on point blank chances, in game 7’s on the road. With all due respect, I’m not sure Brent Johnson makes those saves.

Which is not the point.

The point is right now I’m not sure Fleury makes those saves either. And even if he does, I’m not sure he does not give up a Michael Leighton style softball 30 seconds later. That point was driven home on Saturday night when Fleury gave up a goal that Johnson (or for that matter Disque) certainly would have stopped in the final minutes against Montreal (though I’m remain unsure about Leighton).

For the last three years, the Penguins philosophy with Fleury has basically been you are the man, bar none. If you have a bad game, we will throw you right back out there the next night. I wholeheartedly agree with that. It’s the way you should handle a proven #1 goaltender in the NHL. At least as long as he lives up to his end of the bargain.

For most of his career in the Burgh, Fleury has done so. For most of calendar year 2010, he has not. He struggled in the second half of last season, in last season’s playoffs, and certainly in his first two starts.

And now its time for some accountability.

I actually thought Fleury played pretty well against Montreal, right up to the Gomez game winner. I don’t expect a goaltender to make every save but you simply can not allow that goal at any time, let along the last two minutes of a hockey game. Unfortunately, we saw a few of those in last year’s playoff series against Montreal as well.

So now Dan Bylsma needs to change the message to MAF. The message has to be that he must reestablish his position with his play on the ice. I don’t come to this decision lightly (thus the whole apocalypse comparison above) but we are there. To be honest, it’s not as dramatic you may think and there is absolutely precedent for it in the Burgh.

I would argue that the best Fleury has ever played as a Penguin was the last two months of the 2007-08 season and the playoffs that followed. You may recall that he spent half that season recovering from an ankle injury. During his absence, Ty Conklin played so brilliantly in net that many thought Conklin should remain the starter (yes, that really happened, seriously, I’m not making it up). The Penguins basically told Fleury he would have to earn the job back. And to be clear, he did…in brilliant fashion

That makes me consider at least the possibility that Fleury raises his level when he has some competition for his job, real or perceived.

The other precedent occurred in 1990. You may recall that season ended with a Penguin Stanley Cup celebration. It started with a mild goaltending controversy. It’s long since been forgotten but for the first two plus months of that season, Bob Johnson was basically rotating three goaltenders, Tom Barrasso, Frank Pietrangelo, and Wendell Young.

I readily concede that I lack any kind of objectivity when evaluating Barrasso. That being said, I think it’s fair to say that he was a far better goaltender than either of the gentlemen mentioned in the paragraph above. To be honest, it’s not even close. Barrasso is a borderline hall of famer. Frankie Pete and Young were borderline NHL players.

It’s easy to forget that Barrasso was coming off a difficult season in 1989-90; both on and off the ice. Regardless, his play in the first two months of the following year was lacking and Badger Bob responded by putting his rear end on the bench. I doubt that played well with Barrasso who could be shall we say, a bit prickly at times.

Regardless, it worked. Somewhere along the way, Johnson’s message got through. Just about the time that Pittsburgh reporters were pressing trade rumors, Barrasso found his ‘A’ game and started a brilliant run that ended with back to back cups. I can’t guarantee that Johnson’s decision to bench Tommy was the reason but I have a feeling it sent a message. In short, regardless of your pedigree, you have to earn your job. Remember, the Pens did not need Barrasso to be good, they needed him to be championship caliber.

Right now I think Bylsma needs to send that same message to Fleury. Right now that message is more critical than the “we believe in you and we know you can bounce back” message. Fleury seems a bit too comfortable to me and his play is not living up to the comfort level. Sometimes we all need a little push.

I don’t think I even need to say this given my audience but let me be clear regardless. I am not suggesting Fleury is solely responsible for the Pens failures last season. Far from it. All you need to do is watch the first 30 minutes of game 7 against Montreal to realize that. Get beyond the series long disappearance of Crosby and Malkin and just watch how many brutal, and I mean BRUTAL, defensive mistakes the Pens made in that game. It was emblematic of a series in which the entire team underachieved.

Nor am I suggesting Fleury is solely to blame for the Pens 1-2 start. To be honest, I’m concerned with what I’ve seen so far. Even yesterday’s win over the Devils was disconcerting given that New Jersey was forced to play three men short handed a la Gene Hackman’s team in Hoosiers. I half expected John McLean to play with four men and tell the ref, “My team is on the ice!”

(Quick aside, watching the Devils play with 17 men yesterday is maybe the best example of sports justice I’ve ever seen. I can not describe my joy in watching Lou Lamoriello’s team pay over and over for his mockery of the salary cap that was that absurd and asinine Kovalchuk contract. I truly, truly hope that this was the first step in Sammy Sosa on skates destroying that franchise for the next 15 years).

Still, the Pens can not win without Fleury at his best, and right now he’s just not there. Sometimes great coaching means a little tough love. That’s what Dan Bylsma needs to do to help Fleury regain his ‘A’ game. It’s worked before, and I fully expect it will work again.

No comments:

Post a Comment