Sunday, October 7, 2012

Blogging Team Seto and the 2012 Chicago Marathon

After nearly 9 months of hard core training, my wife Emily lined up for her first ever marathon this morning.

After virtually no relevant training, I lined up for my first roving spectator role at a marathon. My somewhat ambitious goal, to cheer my wife at six different spots over 26.2 miles. The plan was carefully orchestrated and logistically sound though ripe with uncertainty. A heartfelt thanks to Shawn Johnson for some excellent viewing suggestions.

Anyway, it turned out to be quite an experience, well worthy of my first, Bill Simmons’ style time line recap blog in several years . Before I start let me say what absolutely MUST be said. My sincerest congratulations to all of the runners and ESPECIALLY my wife. What all of these folks did today is simply incredible. I’m beat down and physically exhausted from my day and I did not do 1% of what these amazing athletes did. My wife and all 37,000+ finishers should be VERY, VERY PROUD of this mammoth accomplishment!

With that my recap.  All times central standard and slightly estimated:

6:00 am (sharp) – Alarm goes off…snooze.

6:05 am – Alarm goes off…awake, for real.

6:15 am – I drop off Emily at the Green Line and the day is underway. Morning temperature is a balmy 38 degrees.

6:17 am – I return to the Green Line stop to return some lost equipment that fell out of Emily’s bag in the car. First and only potential crisis of the day successfully averted.

7:30 am – I post the following video on Facebook to motivate my hockey fanatic wife (yes, we did watch Miracle for motivation on Friday night). The post is accompanied by these famous words from U.S. Olympic hockey coach Herb Brooks (as voiced by Kurt Russell); “This cannot be a team of common (wo)men; because common (wo)men go nowhere. You have to be UNCOMMON. Should any of you choose to view this inspirational video, rest assured I am ABSOLUTELY NOT calling my wife a Candy Ass!



8:00 am – The first leg of my personal journey, a 1 mile walk to the red line at State and Lake. This is accompanied by my first attempt to cross a street that is part of the course. For comparison, this is sort of like playing the old Frogger arcade game except here you only get one guy.

8:25 am - There is a train waiting when I arrive at State and Lake although I’m not sure if it’s going the right direction. Given my natural danger seeker instincts I jump on anyway, risking life, limb, and going 500 feet the wrong direction. Turns out I’m on the right train and a shockingly unexpected trend for the day has emerged; spectacular CTA timing.

8:35 am – Off the red line at Chicago Avenue, waiting for Emily at LaSalle and Chestnut.

8:45 am – As an aside, I should mention that I’m wearing my black and gold Steeler sweatshirt ONLY to make me more visible to Emily (at least that’s what I tell people). I’m also using the Terrible Towel ONLY so that Emily can easily spot me as she runs by (at least that’s what I tell people). While I’m waiting for Emily 11 runners, again 11 MARATHON runners, allocate a portion of their scarce energy reserves to scream “LET’S GO STEELERS” or something to that effect. That’s why they call it the Steeler NATION folks. We’re like a cult!

8:55 am – Emily runs by and hands over her gloves and hat as the temperatures are souring to over 45 degrees. We’re 3.5 miles in and she’s looking strong.

9:00 am – Back to the red line. I hate to be cruel but there is a foul smelling gentleman at the underground stop who is screaming epitaphs at himself and apparently swatting at imaginary bugs. Ahhh…the city.

9:15 am – Off the red line at Clark and Fullerton. As I hit the street I encounter three people wearing Philadelphia Phillies outfits. Perhaps because the Steelers and Eagles play today or maybe just because Philly and Pittsburgh fans hate each other, they all scowl at me. I’d survive either way but I’ll have my revenge by day’s end thanks to Shaun Suisham.

9:35 am – Waiting for Emily at Clark and Deming (just north of Fullerton), about 50 feet from the apartment building I lived in my first seven years in Chicago. Amazingly during that time I never once viewed the marathon. Like any of you were out of bed at 9:00 am in your 20s…

9:45 am – The Superfriends run by…Batman, Robin, Superman, the Hulk and I believe Wonder Woman. I find myself actually contemplating the question of why Superman is not closer to the lead. You know…because he’s SUPERMAN and all. I also see a gentleman who proudly proclaims himself as “Gay Eagle Scout.” Make of that whatever you want.

9:55 am – Emily runs by mile 9.2 looking powerful and in control. She would call this coincidental but I cannot help noting that my wife is clad in red (jacket) and black (pants), the exact colors of her beloved Chicago Blackhawks. By the way five more “Go Steelers!” screams including one from a guy dressed…in a Steeler outfit. He even admonishes me for not waving the towel. HERE WE GO !!!

10:10 am – After a quick check of the CTA’s first and only proactive modern invention, the internet bus tracker reveals no stops for the Halsted bus. I assume I will be taking a cab to Greektown. Astoundingly as I arrive at Halsted and Fullerton there is a Halsted bus waiting at the stop. Yet another logistical touchdown. Here’s something to ponder, is the bus tracker really such a great invention if it provides completely inaccurate information? Ladies and gentlemen, your Chicago Transit Authority.

10:30 am – Arrive at my building and then a quick walk to Halsted and Adams in Greektown.

10:45 am – The most disturbing site of the day, a tall shirtless gentleman with man boobs that are hopping around like they’re in a food processor. Amazingly women are not permitted to be topless in public but this abomination is perfectly legal behavior in our society.

10:50 am – The women standing next to me complains about an awful, sewage smell emanating from the ground. In a shaky attempt at humor I apologize for not showering this morning (almost as if I’m assuming my brother’s role in this dialogue). Her response, “go figure you’re from Pittsburgh.” BAM…POW. That hurt.

10:55 am – A runner detours course to inquire if he’s seen me earlier on the course. Its official, the crazy guy in the Steeler sweatshirt (at the CHICAGO Marathon) has been recognized.

10:56 am – Emily comes by with the Sears Tower (or Big Willie or whatever) appearing majestically behind her in the background. We’re half way home and she looks fantastic. Oh and five more Steeler yells.

11:00 am – Sandwich break at Halsted and Jackson. There is a part of me that thinks eating a sandwich while watching people endure a marathon is kind of ignorant; but that part grudgingly defers to my growling stomach.

11:25 am (ish) – Here comes Emily again, this time from the west and she still looks like a running machine. She plants a big sloppy wet kiss on me as she runs by. Too much information for the tender sensibilities of my dear readers? DEAL WITH IT. The woman ran 26.2 miles today. I also assume there are 50 or more Steeler yells but they are obscured by loud (and in one case shockingly inappropriate) music.

11:45 am – I head to the Eisenhower to jump on the blue line for a two train connection to Chinatown. As I’m rushing down the extended ramp to the stop (which is in the center of the aforementioned expressway), I see a train has arrived. I start running. Then my jeans start falling down. So I grab my pants to hold them up and nearly trip in the process; all while one of Chicago’s finest admonishes me to be careful. Thankfully nobody saw this potentially humiliating moment. Of course MILLIONS will likely read about it in this blog.

12:00 noon – PERFECT red line transfer at Jackson. Why can’t I have this kind of train luck on work days?

12:30 pm – Arrival in Chinatown.

12:35 pm – Here comes Emily. She’s 22 miles in and still firing on all cylinders. Amazingly this is the first time all day I start to mentally acknowledge how incredible all these runners are…and how they are all certifiably nuts!

12:45 pm – ANOTHER perfect red line transfer. Train is waiting at the top of the steps. If it were not Sunday and I was not scampering all over Chicago I would buy a few lottery tickets.

1:00 pm – My first and only mistake of the day. I hop off the red at Roosevelt and ATTEMPT to fly south on Michigan avenue. The folks in front of me compared our efforts to salmon swimming up-stream. I would say it was more like salmon swimming, up-rapids.

1:20 pm – I complete the two block walk…up rapids mostly no worse for wear.

1:25 pm – Here comes Emily with the finish line in site. She looks so strong you would think this was just a short stroll in the park for her. After yet another kiss, I run ahead of her and take the picture below. Who knew the marathon would give me so many chances to make out with my wife???



1:35 pm – An official marathon text alert informs me my wife has completed the Chicago marathon. WAY TO GO EM !!!

2:00 pm – I walk over a mile to meet Emily at “runner reunite.” I know you all have great sympathy for my hardship; what with 37,000+ other runners around me who ran 26.2 miles AND THEN had to walk that extra mile.

2:05 pm – Reunited with far and away the best athlete in my household!

2:15 pm – One last time, we grab a bus perfectly on time. Given that my wife is a trifle sore from her endeavors, this is a tremendous bit of final fortune.

5;30 pm – Through the magic of the digital video recorder I watch Suisham’s game winning field goal sink Philly and save the Steelers’ season. Totally irrelevant to the marathon but…I gotta be me.

The final tally

Emily – 26.2 Miles, 5 hours 27 minutes and one completed marathon. I could not be more proud of my wife who worked harder than you will ever know to accomplish this life-long goal. Not just the 9 months of training but many, many nights of stretching and rehab as well. I’ll keep the specifics private but will disclose that my wife ran today’s marathon with injuries that would have kept me from walking to the kitchen. No question who is the toughest person in our household.

Adam – 3.5 miles walked (or speed walked) 4 trips on the red line, 1 blue line, and 2 bus trips to reach 6 viewing destinations and the finish line on the course. Unofficially 16 kisses from my wife.

Fans yelling – “GO STEELERS” or something of comparable nature – At least 25.

9 comments:

  1. This is hilarious and awesome Adam! I am so happy you posted the min by min details because I really wished I was there in person to see Emily. It's so obvious that all her training paid off, despite her injuries. Thank you thank you for posting it and for the laughs along the way. :) P.S. that woman who said figured you're from Pittsburgh is just unhappy in her life. Blah to her! P.P.S. the comments about the CTA are so true...never know when you'll be lucky or completely unlucky...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved re-living your marathon experience Adam! Very entertaining and a superb recap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious spectator recap! I've run 2 marathons and never had anyone follow me around like that. (Jealous!) I got a little teary looking at the picture of Emily near the finish. I know she worked incredibly hard to get there. She is amazing for giving it her all and becoming a marathoner, and you are amazing for trailing her and cheering her on all day!*

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was nice meeting you and Emily on Saturday. Luiz was happy you were there too so he wasn't the only guy and only one not obsessed with running :)

    I love love love this post. It made me tear up :) You are an amazing support system for your wife. Love the play by play and the memories captured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the four comments above...thank you all for the positive feedback on the blog. More important, thank you all for supporting Emily in some way, shape, or form in this endeavor. I can vouch that it truly meant a lot to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are an amazing husband to an amazing woman! I cannot wipe the smile off my face and, wait, are those tears in my eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very entertaining re-cap, I work with Emily, please tell her we are all very proud! Also go Steelers, the second best team in the NFL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin, thanks for the kind words. And you were a direct supporter by running with Emily in the mornings so again...much appreciated.

    JRT, thank you as well. As long as your #1 team is DA BEARS, I can live with your ranking the Steelers #2.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Great post! That is some fantastic spectating!!!!! Congrats to Emily!

    ReplyDelete