Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Lifetime of Reasons to Believe in the Steelers

When I was growing up I often considered the possibility that from a sports standpoint, I was born ten years too late. After all, I started watching sports in 1980, one year after Pittsburgh experienced arguably the greatest decade in sports history.

Granted as my personal time clock ticks closer to 40 than 30, I’ve strongly reconsidered that stance. Of course it’s easier to do so after the Steelers double dented a quarter century championship drought and the Penguins have had two decades of unprecedented success.

Still, I remember those painful days in the 80s, desperately waiting for the Steelers to return to prominence. I knew all about the Super Steelers of the 70s but honestly, they were just characters in a movie to me. I never really saw them at their best. My early memories of football involve a washed up Franco Harris, a slowly declining Steel curtain, and Mark Malone chucking balls at everyone except his own teammates (while looking oddly like Magnum PI).

I distinctly remember the final game of the 1986 season; a horrific loss the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants. What I remember most was somebody named Scott Campbell starting at quarterback and the genuine excitement for this in the Burgh. Seriously, we were so burned out from the likes of Malone, David Woodley, and Cliff Stoudt that we were fired up for some 6th round draft choice from Purdue.

To my recollection, Campbell never played another game in the Burgh. Still, that cold Saturday afternoon in Meadowlands always seemed like a low point in Steeler history, at least from the perspective of my time on the planet.

There is a reason that those days seem so far off and distant. The simple fact is that bad Steeler teams have been a true exception in most of our lifetimes. I arrived on this earth just one day before the immaculate reception (and we wonder why I’m such a huge football fan?) which means I’ve lived at least parts of 37 football seasons. During that time the black and gold have made the playoffs 24 times.

Even more amazing, the Steelers have had only 6 losing seasons during Habertime. Do you realize that since Bill Cowher arrived in the Burgh in 1992, the Steelers have finished below 500 just twice? That’s two losing seasons in 18 years. During that period the Pirates have had ZERO WINNING SEASONS.

Honestly, those accomplishments are every bit as impressive as six Super Bowl championships and seven trips to the big game. I’m not sure there has been a consistently better team in North American professional sports in my lifetime. That includes the NY Yankees, in spite of the fact that they can all but purchase a division title in any given year.

Maybe that’s why Steeler fans are so skittish these days. Maybe that’s why one disappointing season, has caused such rampant pessimism in the Burgh. I can’t say this with any scientific accuracy but I get a sense that a lot of Steeler fans see bad things on the horizon. Not just a bad season this year but a mid 80’s style crash back to earth. That seems to be more than some in the Steeler nation can handle.

The black and gold are such an integral part of our personal identities and nobody wants to identify with a loser. One shutters to think at what would happen if the Steelers endured a down streak even as long as the Penguins did earlier this decade. I won’t even ponder Pirate like futility; lest my keyboard spontaneously combust beneath my fingers.

So let’s consider the question; are things really that bad?

Let’s start by throwing out a few obvious points:

1) Our superstar QB is suspended for four games and on thin ice with the organization and the fans. His replacements are, to say the least, less than awe inspiring. Also, our star WR bonged his way out of town…literally.

2) The defense was awful last year; especially in the 4th quarter.

3) The Steelers lost several games to truly awful teams including Oakland, Cleveland, Kansas City, and (Mayor Daley forgive me), the Chicago Bears.

To quote Kevin Bacon in A Few Good Men, “these are the facts, and they are not in dispute.”

Now let’s look at a few counter points.

1) There is nothing we can do about Big Ben but hope he’s ready to play in October and ready to accept a new lease on life. Let’s just hope that Byron Dixonwich can keep the team at 500 until Ben returns. As for Santonio, it’s a tough loss but I’ll take my chances with Mike Wallace and Hines Ward (and mercifully not Limas Sweed).

2) The defense was missing arguably its two most important players in Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith. When Smith went down in 2007, the Steelers suddenly lost the ability to defend the run (see the Jacksonville playoff game). As for Troy, he played 30 minutes of the opener against Tennessee and I think he made every tackle. I never believed one player, especially a safety, could make that big of a difference. He did.

3) The Steelers were clearly suffering from another Super Bowl hangover. Moreover, I don’t think they were ready to deal with life without a dominant defense until it was too late. See point 2 above.

Which brings us to the ultimate question, how good or how bad do things look going forward?

First, let’s assume that Ben has learned and matured after his offseason escapades. Once we get beyond Ben’s life on campus, we should remember that he’s one of the top 5 quarterbacks in the NFL, no matter how much others try to deny it. I figure Ben has at least five more years before his concussion count pushes him into retirement. That’s five more years the Steelers will put points on the board.

Second, I remain a fan of Mike Tomlin. As with everyone in sports, he has a small number of myopic critics who will never let the facts interfere with good story telling. I remind these folks that Tomlin has only three years of experience and he was the youngest coach in the NFL when hired. He should continue to improve a la Cowher, and he’s already won a Super Bowl. I don’t like how far the Steelers strayed from their identity last year but I do like Tomlin’s ability to adapt to the team’s strengths…and weaknesses.

The bigger concern for me long-term is the defense. The front seven is aging rapidly in front of us. I admit the loss of Smith hurt last year and his return should help. Let’s not forget however that older players tend to get hurt more often. The entire D-Line is over 30 and you have an aging linebacker core with Harrison, Farrior, and the back from the dead (or at least from Detroit), Larry Foote. The one young linebacker to really like is Woodley and he’s dangerously close to being a free agent.

As for Troy, he’s the true engine of the defense and his healthy return should make a huge difference. Still, let’s be honest and realize that it can’t be all Polamalu forever. It’s not a coincidence that players like Polamalu and Bob Sanders are frequently injured; both play too big for their bodies. Eventually all the big hits are going to ware him down and/or he’s going to have to change his style of play.

So in the long-term, I have concerns about the defense. In the short-term, I expect it will be significantly better than last year, which is admittedly not setting the bar all that high. If that happens, the team stays afloat without Ben, and the offense remains productive when he returns, I still think the Steelers are a legitimate contender this year. Beyond that; well who knows if we are even going to have football beyond that.

From a bigger picture standpoint, let’s remember the history I quoted above. The Steelers are not a flash in the pan situation like New Orleans or an organization built ostensibly around one player like Indianapolis. This is a team that has made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years in my lifetime. Even those downtrodden years in the 80s included four post season trips and one AFC Championship game. You don’t maintain that level of success without knowing how to find and develop talent.

I’m no different than any other Steeler fan. I dread the thought of going back to the 80’s; where a 9 and 7 season was cause for celebration. That being said, I’ll keep my faith with the black and gold. Think back to how you felt when guys like Jerome Bettis, Eric Green, Rod Woodson, Greg Lloyd and Chad Brown left town. Somehow the Steelers found a way to replace them. Just as they ultimately replaced the dynasty Steelers of the 70s.

There is a huge difference in the quality of organizations in the NFL. Just as the Steelers are consistently successful; Cleveland, Cincy, Detroit, and Arizona are consistently bad. Just as the Steelers occasionally have a bad year; those teams occasionally have success. Over the long-term; water finds its level.

The Steeler’s organization has been a constant in sports from the day I debuted the planet. I’m a benefit of the doubt guy and the Steelers have earned every bit of it from me (just as I often say the Pirates have earned none of it). Keep in mind that few of us expected a Super Bowl win in either 2005 or 2008.

So to answer my question above, I stand by my premise; if the team survives 2 and 2 without Ben they are a legitimate contender this year. It’s a thin line between success and failure. History suggests that more often than not; the black and gold are on the right side of that line.

No comments:

Post a Comment